We shall strive to incorporate sustainability into our core operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
- Conserve energy, water and natural resources.
- Commit to purchasing environmentally preferable products.
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
- Promote environmental education, outreach and awareness to our staff and the greater community.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We shall –
- Reduce our waste stream by increasing our recycling and composting capabilities to 85% diversion from the landfill.
- Strive to increase waste diversion by recycling all paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging and cans.
- Compost all food waste.
- Discourage the use of disposable products by using washable/reusable items.
- Reduce the waste generated by donating reusable office items (appliances, electronic equipment, and furniture) to charitable organizations.
- Reuse envelopes and packaging.
- Promote the use of natural lighting and solar energy, where feasible.
- Institute a policy to turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
- Conduct annual training to educate staff about proper recycling and composting.
- Remind staff quarterly about waste reduction practices.
- Discourage the use of single-use plastic bottled water and only provide refillable or non-plastic water containers.
- Always ask before giving out disposable items such as bags, straws, receipts, utensils, napkins, and condiment cups or packets.
We shall reduce the use of toxic materials to protect employee health and the environment. Specifically we shall -
- Purchase low to non-toxic janitorial cleaning products (only those approved for use by the CA Green Business Program). Certified by Green Seal, UL Ecologo, EPA Safer Choice, EWG or a GoodGuide.com score of 8+.
- Switch to recycled content products, materials and supplies when available.
- Purchase Low VOC paints, markers and non-toxic air fresheners.
- Recycle universal wastes (electronics, batteries, fluorescent light tubes, used motor oil) and prohibit purchasing materials that may lead to hazardous waste generation.
- Minimize the use of disinfectants to only surfaces in restrooms or on door handles.
- Offer non-dairy product options to cow milk, cheese, butter, etc.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
We shall purchase/use the following:
- Office & disposable paper products with 100% recycled content (30% minimum).
- Products with the least packaging (no plastic, polystyrene or aerosol packaging).
- Recycled content-containing office furniture and supplies.
- Refillable bottles, canvas or 100% post-consumer waste recycled bags and reusable to-go containers.
- LED lighting, Energy Star appliances and EPEAT certified electronics.
- Water-efficient toilets, showerheads and faucet aerators.
- Reusable dishware in breakrooms.
- Coffee machine that does not require single-use plastic or aluminum pods.
- Eliminate the use of plastic straws and use only fiber-based or compostable ones straws provided upon request.
Conserve Fossil Fuels
We shall conserve fossil fuels by –
- Encouraging the use of public transit.
- Promoting biking, walking, riding public transport to work and carpooling.
Conserve Water and Energy
We shall conserve natural resources by –
- Enabling the power-saving settings of all monitors and laptops.
- Regularly monitoring energy and water usage through online tools or bill review.
- Conducting regular maintenance on refrigerators, keeping evaporator coils free of excessive frost and condenser coils free of dust and lint.
- Conserve water with the installation of ultra-low flow and/or dual flush toilets, plant native drought tolerant plants and use water-conserving irrigation systems.
Through the course of our work, we shall continue to promote these policies to other companies, organizations and individuals to promote resource conservation and pollution prevention.
– CEO/ Co-Founder